Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Naysayers and bad dreams.

Doubt is an enemy which all face regularly. Even when we have heard God's will for our life, we are not always completely sealed off from doubt. It can still leak in like water through a poorly sealed window during a storm.
Many doubted young David due to his stature, despots his confidence that the Lord had given him the victory.
1 Samuel 17:33, 39-40, 45-46 HCSB

"But Saul replied, "You can't go fight this Philistine. You're just a youth, and he's been a warrior since he was young." (...) David strapped his sword on over the military clothes and tried to walk, but he was not used to them. "I can't walk in these," David said to Saul, "I'm not used to them." So David took them off.  Instead, he took his staff in his hand and chose five smooth stones from the wadi and put them in the pouch, in his shepherd's bag.
Then, with his sling in his hand, he approached the Philistine. (...) David said to the Philistine: "You come against me with a dagger, spear, and sword, but I come against you in the name of Yahweh of Hosts, the God of Israel's armies-you have defied Him.  Today, the Lord will hand you over to me. Today, I'll strike you down, cut your head off, and give the corpses of the Philistine camp to the birds of the sky and the creatures of the earth. Then all the world will know that Israel has a God,"
Joseph's brother spoke out against him and even sold him into slavery because of the gift the Lord had given him and their own petty pride.
Genesis 37:6-8, 18-20 HCSB
"He said to them, "Listen to this dream I had:  There we were, binding sheaves of grain in the field. Suddenly my sheaf stood up, and your sheaves gathered around it and bowed down to my sheaf."
"Are you really going to reign over us?" his brothers asked him. "Are you really going to rule us?" So they hated him even more because of his dream and what he had said.
They saw him in the distance, and before he had reached them, they plotted to kill him.  They said to one another, "Here comes that dreamer!  Come on, let's kill him and throw him into one of the pits. We can say that a vicious animal ate him. Then we'll see what becomes of his dreams!""
Moses even doubted God's will for him because of his apparent disabilities, despite God's very presence at the time.
Exodus 3:16-17 HCSB
"Go and assemble the elders of Israel and say to them: Yahweh, the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, has appeared to me and said: I have paid close attention to you and to what has been done to you in Egypt.  And I have promised you that I will bring you up from the misery of Egypt to the land of the Canaanites, Hittites, Amorites, Perizzites, Hivites, and Jebusites-a land flowing with milk and honey.
Exodus 4:1 HCSB
" Then Moses answered, "What if they won't believe me and will not obey me but say, 'The Lord did not appear to you'?" "
However, God did great things through these men, miraculous things, despite the doubt and negativity swirling around them.
God has recently spoken to me about an important issue in my own life. After much prayer and dedication of the situation, I have come to discern the actions that I believe God is leading me to take. This matter is dear to me.
However, it is certainly not an easy decision or a smooth road ahead. Many have spoken out against my decision. They come up with every reason not to believe that what the lord has told about my ability in this, as well as his. Some have scoffed at my assuredness or called it foolishness. Even if not in so many words, I know.what they think by the way that they look at me.
And all this is beginning to take it's toll. Last night I laid awake replaying discussions from the day. They're voices echoed in my head so constantly that when I searched for that one voice that truly mattered, I couldn't find him. I even had a dream that my husband, who has stood strongly beside me in this, despite the pressure he has suffered, took it all back and forbade me from pursuing Gods will in this. Now that's pretty scary to wake up to.
I say all of this with the intention of reassuring myself of the peace God has given me in regards to the situation, as well as to encourage anyone else who may be hidden safely in the will of the lord, but have doubt leaking in all the while.
Jeremiah 29:11 “For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
 Thessalonians 5:24 “The one who calls you is faithful and he will do it.”
Philippians 4:7 "And the peace of God, which surpasses every thought, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus."
How can you have this peace? How can you insulate yourself from doubt? The trick is to surround yourself with only the encouraging word of God and those people who will encourage to follow where the Lord leads.
How is the Lord leading you? What encouraging words has he given you today?
Exodus 33:21-22 HCSB
"The Lord said, "Here is a place near Me. You are to stand on the rock,  and when My glory passes by, I will put you in the crevice of the rock and cover you with My hand until I have passed by."

3 comments:

  1. *hug* You know in your heart where God leads you, no one else has the power to discern that for you. No matter the situation stand firm to His Word and clothe yourself in the armor of God daily and He will do the rest. :) And now... I'm sitting here on your blog and asher's screaming NANANANANANANA :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "For a believer, to be "short-sighted" means to ignore what God promises and commands while desiring success and affirmation from the world around. It is to exchange what is eternal for what will never endure or even satisfy." Bsf notes, 12/12/12

    ReplyDelete
  3. Genesis 14:18-20 HCSB

    Then Melchizedek, king of Salem, brought out bread and wine; he was a priest to God Most High. He blessed him and said:
    Abram is blessed by God Most High,
    Creator of heaven and earth,
    and [I] give praise to God Most High
    who has handed over your enemies to you.
    And Abram gave him a tenth of everything.
    Genesis 15:1 HCSB
    After these events, the word of the Lord came to Abram in a vision.
    Do not be afraid, Abram.
    I am your shield.
    your reward will be very great.

    God.blessed Abram with melchizadeck as an encourager to him. He also reinforced Abrams difficult decisions by promising him reward. Today God blessed me with encouragement and reinforcement from a sweet lady in my bsf group.

    ReplyDelete